These very simple-to-make Mexican Pinwheels are rolled up with chicken, cream cheese, salsa, fresh herbs, and spices for a kid-friendly lunch with southwestern flair.
If you are searching for more lunch inspiration, you will appreciate our non-sandwich lunchbox concepts!
My little ones get tired of sandwiches about half way by way of the college year. These Mexican Pinwheels are an simple and tasty way to bring some selection into your kids’ lunches and they hold definitely effectively in a lunchbox!
We like pinwheels because…
- They stick with each other! They’re simple for little ones to choose up with out components falling out.
- They’re cute and entertaining to consume.
- Picky eaters can see what they’re taking a bite out of.
- They’re versatile. You can add any components you appreciate to a pinwheel.
These Mexican Pinwheels are simple, scrumptious, and fantastic for making use of up leftover cooked chicken. (We often like an option to lunch meat!) And they match oh-so-nicely in a lunchbox…
Tips for Making Great Mexican Pinwheels
- Use your preferred pliable wrap. We like complete wheat for added nutrition. If your wrap feels stiff, warm it in the microwave for ten seconds to soften it.
- Adjust your spices. Some taco seasonings are very spicy, and other people are mild. Be versatile with the quantity of seasoning you add to match your kids’ tastes.
- Mix the filling effectively. The crucial to receiving pinwheels that stick with each other effectively is to have a filling that is uniformly mixed (no dry bits floating about to fall out when you slice.)
- Make it ahead! The filling will keep fresh for a day or two in the fridge, so go ahead and make a massive batch so you can make the pinwheels a couple days in a row.
Ingredients You Will Need for Mexican Pinwheels
- Cream Cheese – You can use complete fat or decreased fat for this recipe. I like to set mine out about an hour prior to I’m going to make this recipe to let it soften just a bit.
- Salsa – The form of salsa you use is completely up to your taste preferences. You can use a more chunky salsa or smooth, spicy or mild, what ever your little ones appreciate.
- Chicken – this is the fantastic recipe to use leftover chicken. Rotisserie chicken offers it a wonderful flavor and is 1 of our favorites, but you can use shredded chicken breast, diced chicken, or what ever you have on hand.
- Cheddar Cheese – we like shredded cheddar for this recipe, but you can also you a blended cheese selection.
- Tortillas – pinwheels work very best with a bit heartier tortilla. We ordinarily obtain raw tortillas, but for this recipe I obtain precooked and I like complete wheat.
Commonly Asked Questions About Mexican Pinwheels
Question: Do you have a gluten cost-free wrap brand that you like? Yes – we like the Food for Life Rice Wraps or the Sami’s Bakery Millet wraps.
Question: Can we leave the green onion out? If raw green onion is also considerably for your little ones, really feel cost-free to leave it out. You can often sprinkle it on the pinwheels that you will be consuming 😉
Question: Can I make this into a wrap? Yes! That is one more wonderful way we appreciate to consume these – we add cilantro, sliced tomatoes, avocado and lettuce. So yummy!
Question: How do these turn out if I make them ahead? They shop definitely effectively in the fridge. If you use a tortilla that has more substance, they shouldn’t get soggy at all!
Question: How lots of pinwheels does this recipe make? About 24 pinwheels.
Question: What is the very best way to reduce these pinwheels? If you use a serrated knife, you should really get a clean simple reduce no issue.
More of Our Favorite Lunch Recipes
Cheesy Veggie Quinoa Cakes – Crispy on the outdoors quinoa cakes have it all: fresh veggies, complete grains and the melty allure of savory cheddar cheese make these an yummy transportable lunch.
Quick Lunch Taquitos – Crunchy taquitos that take just a handful of minutes to whip up!
Homemade Hot Pockets – Soft, fresh, complete wheat rolls stuffed with melty cheese, ham, and vegetables.
- 4 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 ounce cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 stalk green onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken diced
- 6 medium tortillas, complete wheat
Put the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, cheddar cheese, green onion, garlic, and taco seasoning in a medium bowl and mix effectively. Add the chicken and stir to combine.
Spread some of the mixture onto the whole surface of 1 of the tortillas, and roll it up tightly. Continue with the rest of the tortillas the exact same way.
Chill for 20 minutes. Cut the rolled up tortillas into 1-inch sections. Or, just serve them as a wrap!
Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 170mg | Potassium: 22mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg
I’m a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of meals and powerful promoter of healthier habits. Here you will uncover lots of scrumptious recipes complete of fruits and veggies, guidelines for receiving your little ones to consume improved and come to be intuitive eaters and lots of sources for feeding your family members.
Learn More about Natalie