This post may well include affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please study my disclosure.
Are you hunting for the healthiest children’s vitamins on the marketplace today? This post (which I update month-to-month) will assist you uncover the ideal one particular for your youngster! Note: If you are hunting for the ideal adult vitamins, go to this post.
Kids Vitamins can be confusing. There are so numerous queries: Is there a such point as an “unhealthy” little ones vitamin? Do you need to have a vitamin with iron? Which vitamins are the ideal? Do little ones even need to have vitamins at all?
A lot of these queries can be genuinely overwhelming since there is so a lot data out there! So I did a bunch of investigation and located the healthiest little ones vitamins out there today. This is your guide for the ideal multivitamins for little ones: what to obtain, what not to obtain, and what to appear out for!
First of all, do little ones even need to have vitamins to commence with?
Most pediatricians will inform you that it is not essential for most wholesome young children who are increasing usually (source). For little ones who consume nicely and consume a selection of meals, they can get all of the nutrients they need to have from complete foods. But numerous little ones are really picky, or do not consume a lot of meals, or are not increasing nicely, and that tends to make a lot of parents worried that they are not having the nutrients they need to have! In these circumstances, I’d suggest speaking to your pediatrician, and if they suggest giving your youngster a multivitamin then surely do so.
When obtaining a multivitamin, what must you appear for?
Kids multivitamins normally come in two groups: 1) With Iron and 2) Without Iron. You must obtain a multivitamin that does not exceed one hundred% day-to-day worth of most of the vitamins for your child’s age group – mainly Vitamins A, E and K (that will be indicated by the label on the back). The exception right here is for Vitamin C and other water-soluble vitamins. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin but is ok to have at more than one hundred% of the day-to-day worth since most persons are deficient (which includes little ones) and Vitamin D is not toxic unless it is in exceptionally higher doses which wouldn’t be in a day-to-day vitamin. If the vitamin does have more than one hundred% of A, E and K then I would just give your youngster half the dose on the bottle.
Free Children’s Vitamins 1 Page Printable
Fill out the kind under to get your Free of charge 1-web page checklist of the ideal vitamins by age (-18 years) and the appropriate dosing by age!
So what must you obtain? What’s the healthiest children’s vitamin out there?
Luckily there are tons of solutions! Below is a list of my favorites: they all are created with organic components, have no weird preservatives or any of the components above added, and a couple of even derive the vitamins from organic meals sources which I totally appreciate since they are far better absorbed by the body that way. Most of these will have a tiny bit of cane sugar or fructose added, but as extended as it is much less than 4g per serving it is not a enormous problem.
Note: Some of the things under have been offered to me to assessment by the manufacturer or as component of an affiliate system. I may well get commissions if you make a obtain by means of the hyperlinks offered. I only suggest items I’ve really evaluated, I think are the highest excellent, and can do the most to assist you and your household. By getting any of these items from the hyperlinks under, you assist maintain this weblog operating, so thanks for your help! I am not a medical professional, so do not disregard something your medical professional has told you primarily based on what you study right here. Please seek the advice of with your medical professional just before beginning any new supplements.
ALL of the vitamins I suggest under do NOT include gelatin. They are all vegetarian friendly! A couple of vitamins on the list (like Llama Naturals Organic Gummies, Hiya Vitamins, and Ritual) are one hundred% organic and free of charge of ALL heavy metals, contaminants, and allergens as nicely!
The Healthiest Children’s Multivitamins With Iron
The Healthiest Children’s Multivitamins Without Iron
The Healthiest Children’s Liquid Vitamins Without Iron
- ChildLife – it is a tiny greater in sugar than I’d like, but you can get started employing it at 6 months of age (the other two solutions are for older little ones)
- Garden of Life for Toddlers – this vitamin is one hundred% organic, created from complete foods, has no sugar added, and you can use it beginning at 1 year of age. I haven’t located a liquid vitamin with probiotics that has a cleaner components list however!
- Best Nest Multi + for Kids – this is the most extensive liquid little ones vitamin I’ve located that you can get started at 1 year of age. It does have stevia extract added, so that is one thing to take into account based on no matter whether you want your youngster to have stevia!
- Premium Children’s – no sugar added and you can use it beginning at 4 years of age
The Healthiest Children’s Iron Only Supplement
An iron-only supplement is a very good alternative if you go with a multivitamin with out iron, since it will add the iron missing from these vitamins back into your child’s diet regime. I normally suggest supplementing with iron if your youngster has been tested and is iron-deficient (otherwise supplementing with iron is not essential for most little ones). The two ideal iron-only supplements are:
- Nature’s Nutra since of fairly its super clean components list.
- Gaia Herbs: Use for older young children (or with pediatrician’s approval for babies) – it has the cleanest components list I’ve located and is nonGMO!
The Healthiest Children’s Omega 3 Supplements
The major Omega 3 supplement I’d suggest for little ones is Nordic Naturals. They have an infant DHA supplement and a children’s DHA supplement – each of which are particularly pure, has no added preservatives or sugar, and are in liquid kind so they can be added to just about something! ChildLife Cod Liver Oil is also a very good alternative for little ones beginning at 6 months of age!
The Healthiest Children’s Vitamin D Supplement
If you are hunting for a gummy Vitamin D supplement for little ones, I appreciate these Vitamin D gummies from Llama Naturals (and as a bonus, adults can use them as well!). If you are hunting for a liquid Vitamin D supplement for babies, toddlers, and older little ones, I appreciate these Vitamin D Drops from Raise them Well. There is actually absolutely nothing added to them (no flavors, colors, and so on.). They are liquid and you only need to have one particular drop in your child’s milk per day. They’re marketed for infants, but you can use them for any age. Super effortless, tasteless and pure. For two other excellent solutions, BabyD Drops and UpSpring tends to make a pure liquid Vitamin D supplement as nicely.
The Best Vitamin C For Kids
Many of you have asked me for my thoughts about Vitamin C supplements for little ones. Here are my picks for the healthiest, ideal Vitamin C for little ones. If you are hunting for a chewable vitamin, I suggest Raise Them Well Children’s Immunity Chewable with Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K and Zinc.
If you are hunting for a gummy, I suggest Llama Naturals Vitamin C with Elderberry added. Other very good gummy solutions include things like Olly Kids Immunity, Children’s Best Immune Support, or WellVites.
Lastly, if you are hunting for the ideal elderberry supplement for little ones, I like Gaia Herbs Elderberry, and for an all-organic, sugar-free of charge immune booster for little ones employing Beta Glucan, I appreciate Beta Kids Gummies!
The Healthiest Probiotics Supplements For Kids
I appreciate Garden of Life’s line of probiotics – they are shipped cold and their powdered kids probiotic can be added to your child’s drink (milk, water, and so on.). They also have a kids’ chewable probiotic if you need to have an alternative that does not call for refrigeration (but it does have maltodextrin). If you are hunting for a liquid probiotic, I suggest this organic liquid probiotic from Go Healthy Natural. Four other probiotic solutions that I like are Llama Naturals, Children’s Best, Klaire Labs, PROKids and Dr. MK’s Natural Probiotic (the only caveat with Dr. MK’s is that it’s sweetened with sorbitol which is a sugar alcohol).
The Healthiest Prebiotic Supplement for Kids
There is only one prebiotic I’ve located that is protected for toddlers and little ones, and has super higher excellent components and no stabilizers or artificial flavors/colors added. I recommend BeginHealth if you are hunting to supplement with a prebiotic for your youngster. It includes only 3 components: 2’FL HMO (Human Milk Oligosaccharide) – with a Molecular structure identical to the one particular located in breast milk, Oligofructose (Chicory root fiber), and avocado oil. It’s super clean and genuinely productive!
What Ingredients Should Be Avoided In Kids Vitamins?
It’s also significant to appear for the components that are added to the tablet that are not vitamins. Ingredients like: Sorbitol, carrageenan, artificial colors and flavors (like Red #40), aspartame, sucralose, to name a couple of! You surely do not want to be dosing your youngster with these components on a day-to-day basis along with their multivitamin.
So let’s get started with what not to obtain: The answer right here is most of the commercially obtainable, major brands of multivitamins. The largest offender of which is Flinstones Chewable Vitamins.
What’s crazy is that on the label, Flinstones calls out that they are “Pediatrician’s #1 Choice.” And most persons do obtain Flinstones vitamins! I even recall consuming them when I was a kid. They tasted so very good! It was like a treat just about every morning. And if you are providing your little ones Flinstones vitamins appropriate now, do not really feel poor! You are not alone, and thanks to all of the deceptive advertising and marketing out there, there’s no way you’d know that Flinstones is not the ideal option for any youngster. Before performing all of this investigation I didn’t comprehend how problematic they have been, and why it is significant to switch away from them.
The explanation they are problematic, is because there are a ridiculous quantity of offensive ingredients in Flinstones Vitamins that genuinely, must not be there at all, and are not essential. Take a appear at two of their ideal sellers (I’ve highlighted in bold all of the ingredients to stay away from):
#1 |Flinstones Chewable Vitamins with Iron: Sorbitol, Mannitol, Fructose, Sodium Ascorbate, Ferrous Fumarate, Silicon Dioxide, Carrageenan, Natural and Artificial Flavors, FD&C Red #40 Lake Less Than 2% Of: Aspartame†, BetaCarotene, Cholecalciferol, Cyanocobalamin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, FD&C Blue #2 Lake, FD&C Yellow #6 Lake, Folic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Soy Lecithin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate.
#2 | Flinstones Chewable Complete: Granulated Calcium Carbonate (Calcium Carbonate, Dextrose Monohydrate, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Microcrystalline Cellulose), Sorbitol, Sodium Ascorbate, Ferrous Fumarate, Natural and Artificial Flavoring, Pregelatinized Starch, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate Less Than 2% Of: Beta-Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Cholecalciferol, Cupric Oxide, Cyanocobalamin, FD&C Blue #2 Lake, FD&C Red #40 Lake, FD&C Yellow #6 Lake, Folic Acid, Gelatin, Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Stearate, Mono- and Diglycerides, Niacinamide, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Phytonadione, Riboflavin, Silicon Dioxide, Soy Lecithin, Sucralose, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Zinc Oxide.
Why are these components poor? Let’s take them one particular by one particular:
- Sorbitol and Mannitol are sugar alcohols. Some sugar alcohols can trigger digestive difficulties and discomfort in some persons since they can not be digested appropriately by the body. Mannitol is ordinarily far better tolerated than sorbitol, so in picking in between the two, I would stay away from sorbitol more than mannitol.
- Carrageenan is an emulsifier that thickens items, but it has been linked to higher levels of inflammation in the body, digestive difficulties, and so on.
- Maltodextrin: this is an indicator that the meals is highly processed. It’s applied as a thickener, filler, or preservative in numerous processed foods, and it can trigger spikes in your blood sugar since it has a higher glycemic index.
- Natural and Artificial Colors – Red #40, Blue #2, Yellow #6. What are these performing in a little ones vitamin? These are so problematic and have been linked to all kinds of health problems including allergies, hyperactivity, studying impairment, irritability and aggressiveness.
- Artificial flavors – also very processed and unnecessary in a little ones vitamin.
- Aspartame and Sucralose – this is what diet regime sodas are sweetened with, and are very controversial. Research hasn’t verified one particular way or the other no matter whether they lead to extended term well being difficulties, but it has been verified that they trigger an insulin-response by the body (since your body thinks you are consuming sugar when you are not – source). If you wouldn’t give your child a diet regime coke, you shouldn’t give them a vitamin with this in it!
- Mono- and Diglycerides is one particular of the most extensively applied emulsifers to maintain oil and fat from separating. It’s just an indicator that the meals is processed.
- Oh, and gelatin. While this is not a dangerous ingredient, it type of sucks for any vegetarians or vegans out there who are providing their little ones this vitamin with out understanding that it is not really veggie-friendly.
Runner Ups / Children’s Supplements That Are Borderline
- Solgar. This is one particular I’d get only if you can not uncover any of the other ones on the list above, since when most of the components are very good, it does have carrageenan which – as I pointed out – it is far better to stay away from.
- YummiBears Organic Multivitamin (note: this vitamin does have cane sugar added – if you give your little ones the complete dose then it is 6g sugar which is more than I would like in a vitamin)
- Seeking Health (Note: The hyperlink may well say women’s/mens but the label indicates this can be applied for little ones aged 4 and up. It’s also very good for little ones with MTHFR mutations. But I am waiting for a response from the business on the prop 65 warning on its label, so I’ve moved them down right here for now!)
- Nature’s Way Alive! The only downside to these is they are sweetened with sorbitol – which is a sugar alcohol that can be irritating to the digestive program. Other than that although, their components appear very good!
- Rainbow Light (this comes in powdered kind). This was on my “top vitamins” list till August 2019, when news of a class action against Rainbow Light came out since their prenatal vitamins contained heavy metals (which includes higher levels of lead). While this class action does not apply to their children’s vitamins, I’d nevertheless be wary of obtaining from Rainbow Light till they have rigorous heavy metal testing in location for ALL of their vitamins.
I hope this aids you in navigating the globe of kids’ vitamins!
If you are hunting for wholesome meal inspiration in addition to the ideal vitamins for your youngster, pick up a copy of my newest cookbook here!