Boost your breakfast nutrition with these scrumptious sweet potato pancakes!
If you really like sweet potatoes, check out our sweet potatoes in the slow cooker!
We’ve been consuming sweet potato pancakes for as extended as we have been consuming sweet potatoes for dinner, and we cannot get adequate! The youngsters really like them, and they even got rave critiques by the pickiest eater in my neighborhood, and that is saying one thing!
The sweet potatoes we made use of for this recipe are frequently bought in U.S. grocery shops below the names YAMS! We ARE working with the orange fleshed potatoes for this. Every time we post about sweet potatoes, when we imply yams, we get lots of confusion.
What is the distinction among sweet potatoes and yams?
Potatoes come in a assortment of types. Our grocery retailer sells two varieties of sweet potatoes. Although each veggies you are receiving at a frequent grocery retailer are sweet potatoes, they contact one particular a sweet potato, and the other a yam to distinguish them from each and every other for the customer (you!). Botanically, the orange fleshed potato sold in grocery shops (referred to as a yam), is not a yam at all (veggie nerds can see the complete discussion on that here), but it does enable to preserve them separate for us frequent folk! I will say, you need to know the distinction, for the reason that it is crucial if you have began ordering your groceries on-line or for choose up! Choosing a sweet potato, I’ve gotten the white fleshed sweet potatoes on more than one particular occasion!
For daily life, right here is how we use a sweet potato versus a yam:
SWEET POTATOES: (with white flesh) We use this potato much less generally. It’s appears equivalent to a russet potato, and is not as sweet as the orange fleshed “yams”.
YAMS: (with orange flesh) This is the potato we use most generally. We really like the flavor, the versatility, and the capability to add it to so numerous distinctive recipes! Canned yams have grow to be preferred as a Thanksgiving side dish in the United States, and as a outcome, a lot of youngsters choose they do not like yams ahead of they ever have the likelihood to attempt them fresh. Canned yams are frequently packed in syrup, and are a lot also sweet for a side dish (in my opinion). Then, it is generally cooked with marshmallows or more syrup. The texture is generally tough to manage for youngsters it is extremely mushy and falls apart very easily.
Is one particular healthier than the other? YES! Yams, with their wealthy orange colour, has more vitamins. The more colorful your fruits or vegetables are, the more nutrients they have.
So, why do we like to add mashed sweet potatoes to our pancakes?
- Sweet Potatoes are a excellent supply of Vitamin A! In one particular sweet potato, based on the size and exactly where it came from, you may well get 35-90% of your every day advisable worth of Vitamin A.
- Mashed sweet potatoes are extremely moist and is a excellent base for baked goods.
- Sweet potatoes give pancakes a good sweet flavor devoid of getting to add refined sugars.
The ideal aspect about sweet potato pancakes is that you can add even more nutrients and fiber to your breakfast by topping it with fresh fruit! We like bananas, berries, plums, or peaches. With fruit and sweet potatoes, we generally do not even require syrup. A tiny bit of creamy yogurt or whipped cream can turn a boring pancake breakfast into one particular of our favored desserts!
How Do you Make Sweet Potato Pancakes?
- Cook sweet potato (this can be performed the evening ahead of). You will require 1/2 cup mashed.
- Blend 1st 5 components in a blender, till smooth.
- Whisk collectively the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the sweet potato mixture and stir just till combined.
- Add more milk if necessary for the consistency of pancake batter.
- Pour the batter onto a hot griddle greased with nonstick cooking spray. Flip the pancakes when the commence to bubble and are golden brown on each sides.
- Serve warm topped with sliced bananas, yogurt, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
If you really like pancakes, you should see the 23 pancake recipes we just really like!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 substantial egg
- 1 cup flour, entire wheat
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium banana
- 1 cup yogurt, vanilla, low-fat
- 4 tablespoon maple syrup, pure
Cook sweet potato (this can be performed the evening ahead of). You will require 1/2 cup mashed.
Blend 1st 5 components in a blender, till smooth.
Whisk collectively the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the sweet potato mixture and stir just till combined.
Add more milk if necessary for the consistency of pancake batter.
Pour the batter onto a hot griddle greased with nonstick cooking spray. Flip the pancakes when the commence to bubble and are golden brown on each sides.
Serve warm topped with sliced bananas, yogurt, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 256mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 32g
Tell us in the comments, what is your favored way to consume sweet potatoes?