This Sweet Potato Casserole is amazingly flavorful with every single bite of creamy sweet potato and crunchy pecan oat crumble. You would in no way know it is a substantially healthier version of classic and will not leave you feeling sluggish right after consuming it! Perfect for your Thanksgiving menu.
How to Make Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potato casserole is a single of my favored sides for Thanksgiving. Sweet potato casserole is commonly packed with sugar and butter creating it a seriously heavy dish – additional wealthy than dessert even!
Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and if you add also substantially sugar and fat, it is difficult to taste their organic flavors. I adore serving my little ones complete foods with no tons of additives so that they can understand to get pleasure from the true flavors of meals.
This sweet potato casserole recipe is lightly sweetened with maple syrup and it seriously brings out a scrumptious flavor from the sweet potatoes.
This recipe is seriously effortless to whip up – actually whip.
- Cook your sweet potatoes. See under for my recommendation on the ideal way to cook sweet potatoes.
- Once they are cooked and slightly cooled, eliminate the skins and spot the inside in a bowl along with the maple syrup, milk, vanilla, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg , allspice and salt. Beat this mixture with a handheld mixer to smooth out any lumps. You will then pour the mixture into a 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Next you will make the oat crumble topping. Mix with each other the flour, oats, brown sugar, and pecans. Use a pastry cutter, danish dough whisk or a fork to mix in the melted butter till the mixture comes with each other.
- Sprinkle the topping more than your sweet potatoes and then bake. The top rated really should be a golden brown colour and delightfully crunchy. That’s it!
Are Yams and Sweet Potatoes the Same Thing?
Sweet potatoes and yams are each root vegetables – but they are unquestionably not the identical point. The orange-colored vegetable that we most frequently purchase at the shop are in fact a sweet potato, but are labeled yams. It gets confusing! Today the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires labels with the term ‘yam’ to be accompanied by the term ‘sweet potato.’
Yams are in fact incredibly starchy, additional potato-like, and commonly not incredibly sweet. Yams are grown about the planet, but West Africa is exactly where 95% of most yam crops are grown.
There are hundreds of forms of sweet potatoes – some are white and mild to deep red and super sweet. Over half of the United States sweet potato provide comes from North Carolina.
What is the Best Way to Cook Sweet Potatoes?
If you want a hands off, no mess way to cook a sweet potato – then the Instant Pot is unquestionably the ideal approach. It is extremely effortless and offers you the most creamy sweet potato of your life! Here is how you do it:
- Rinse and scrub your sweet potatoes, and spot them on top rated of the metal wire steaming rack that came with your Instant Pot.
- Add a single cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot, and lock the lid. Set the stress cooker to cook for 15 minutes below stress for medium-sized sweets, or 19 minutes for big sweets.
- Let the stress come down naturally for at least ten minutes. (You can let it come down naturally all the way if you like… but if you are in a hurry to consume, you can go ahead and flip the valve right after ten minutes.)
That’s all there is to it! With essentially no work you will have completely cooked sweet potatoes: smooth, creamy and sweet.
This Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is my new favored Thanksgiving side dish simply because I know I can consume it and nevertheless really feel very good right after even though enjoying the incredible flavors!
PIN FOR LATER
I WOULD Adore YOUR FEEDBACK! If you make this sweet potato casserole, will you leave a comment and star rating under? Your feedback is super valuable for SHK parents and other readers who are pondering about creating the recipe. Thank you!
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, pure
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 big egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- Scrub the outdoors of your sweet potatoes, and cook them till soft. I suggest cooking in the Instant Pot. See how right here.
Preheat your oven to 400° F. Prepare an 8×8 baking pan by spraying with cooking spray.
Once your sweet potatoes are cooked and slightly cooled, scoop the orange inside in a big mixing bowl. Add the maple syrup, milk, vanilla, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Beat with a hand mixer till smooth and there are no lumps. Spread the sweet potato mixture into your baking pan with a spatula till evenly smooth.
In a medium bowl, mix with each other the flour, oats, brown sugar, and pecans. Use a pastry cutter, danish dough whisk or a fork to mix in the melted butter till the mixture comes with each other.
Sprinkle the topping more than your sweet potatoes. Bake for 25-30 minutes or till the top rated is a golden brown colour and delightfully crunchy. Enjoy!