These sourdough bread bowls have a tremendous sourdough taste, crusty exterior and chewy inside. Their good texture make the BEST bread bowl for soup.
How to Make Sourdough Bread Bowls
If you haven’t ever made sourdough bread, first go to this post and discover ways to make a fundamental sourdough artisan loaf. The huge distinction with making bread bowls is that you just received’t bake these in a dutch oven. You technically can bake them in a dutch oven, it can simply rely upon what number of you make. You must bake them in batches as a result of solely 2 will match at a time in a typical dimension dutch oven.
The methodology that I used for these will nonetheless offer you a crusty exterior, so by no means concern! So let’s get down to creating these bread bowls:
Step 1: Mix your sourdough collectively in a bowl and observe the remaining, pull and stretch, bulk rise steps. (See recipe beneath for detailed steps on this)
Step 2: After the majority rise, divide your dough into 6 items. They ought to every weight round 200g or 7 ounces. If you wish to make smaller or greater bread bowls, you undoubtedly can! Just divide your dough into roughly items.
Step 3: Shape each bit of dough right into a spherical ball. To do that, first flippantly mud your counter with flour. You are actually going to fold the dough from all of the corners into itself. Start by folding the underside of the circle as much as the center. Then, fold the left aspect up and over towards the suitable, the suitable aspect up and over towards the left. Finally, fold the highest all the way down to concerning the center. Flip your dough over, and put each arms over the dough so your thumbs are shut to one another and your arms and fingers are wrapped across the aspect of the dough. Move your arms collectively in a round movement, pushing the dough with one hand towards the opposite because it’s tightened between your hand and the counter. Prepear a baking sheet with parchment paper, a silicone mat or cooking spray.
Step 4: Once your dough is formed into balls, you’ll need to chop your twine. I advocate cooking twine as a result of it’s oven protected. This is a great brand to make use of. You will wish to reduce your twine lengthy sufficient that it may possibly match round your dough ball and have the power to be loosely tied on the prime. I reduce mine about 14″. Lay 3 reduce items of twine crisscross within the spot you wish to put your dough ball.
Once you could have all your dough balls on the trays, tie the items of twine loosely collectively on every dough ball making a free knot on the prime of the dough. This is what is going to form the dough right into a pumpkin form. You can regulate the twine as wanted after it’s tied. Tying loosely permits for the dough to proceed to rise, whereas creating the shape.
Step 5: Let your bread bowls rise and be sure you cowl them with a humid fabric. I allow them to rise on the baking sheet after which cowl with a fabric and tuck the perimeters of the material beneath the sheet.
Step 6: Baking your bread bowls. So there are a few methods to do that. Typically you bake sourdough in a dutch oven as a result of the steam is trapped in and it provides you the crusty exterior that everybody loves. If you aren’t going to bake these in a dutch oven, you’ll need to create your personal steam.
- To do that, you’ll need a metallic pan of some kind that’s oven protected and you may pour a small quantity of water in. Place the pan within the backside of your oven or on the bottom rack earlier than you preheat your oven.
- You can prepare dinner the bread on the baking sheet they rose on, or you possibly can switch them to a baking stone. If you could have a baking stone that may match all your bread bowls, then that’s the popular methodology for positive! A baking stone can warmth up a lot hotter than a baking sheet and will provide you with a greater crust. If you’re utilizing a baking stone, put it within the oven earlier than preheating on the similar time you set your metallic pan in.
- Once your bread bowls have risen, put them within the oven. Pour about 1/2 cup of water into the metallic pan after which shut the door fast!
- After they’re executed baking, place them on a cooling rack and reduce the twine when they’re cool sufficient to the touch.
Why Sourdough is the Best Type of Bread for a Bread Bowl
The texture of sourdough bread is extra dense that your typical standard yeast bread. This is good for a bread bowl, since you don’t need your soup to make a mushy mess of your bread bowl, or begin leaking out. These sourdough bread bowls can maintain as much as any soup you possibly can consider!
The crusty exterior softens a bit when dunked right into a scrumptious bowl of soup, however provides you that incredible texture variation that makes consuming totally different meals so yummy.
Boost the Nutrition with Added Pumpkin
Adding pumpkin puree to your bread is a good way to spice up diet with out altering the flavour or texture of the bread. In this recipe, it turned the bread a barely deeper orange shade which was good for these pumpkin bread bowls!
- High in Vitamin A and Beta Carotene
- High in fiber
- Good supply of Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin B2, and Vitamin E.
I created the stems with two pecan halves and the leaves are contemporary basil. This is the place you may get artistic and have enjoyable with various kinds of stems and leaves! I hope you get pleasure from these enjoyable Sourdough Pumpkin Bread Bowls on your subsequent Fall soup evening!
- 100 grams lively sourdough starter ~1/4 cup
- 330 grams water ~ 1 1/3 cups
- 10 grams salt ~ 1 1/2 tsp
- 500 grams all-purpose flour ~4 1/2 cups
- If you do not have a sourdough starter, this post will get you began!
- Stir your starter and water collectively in a big bowl. I like to make use of a danish dough whisk. Add the flour and salt. Mix till a stiff dough varieties, then end by hand to completely incorporate the flour. Cover with a humid towel or plastic wrap and let relaxation at room temperature for half-hour.
- After the dough has rested, you will fold and stretch the dough to strengthen the gluten and incorporate extra air into your dough. Grab a chunk of the dough and stretch it up after which fold it over. Slightly flip the bowl and repeat till you could have stretched and folded all sides of your dough.
- Cover the bowl with a humid fabric or plastic wrap and let rise for about 10-12 hours. (bulk rise) I usually let mine rise for 12 hours. Letting it rise in a single day is a superb possibility. You will know that the dough is prepared when it not seems to be dense and has doubled in dimension.
- After the majority rise, take away the dough onto a flippantly floured floor. Cut the dough into 6 even items that weigh 7 ounces (200g) every.
- To form the dough right into a balls, fold the dough over towards the middle. Give it a flip and fold over the subsequent part. Repeat till you could have come full circle. Flip the dough over and together with your arms on bowl sides of the dough, rotate in a round movement placing a slight strain in the direction of the underside.
- You can bake both on a baking sheet or a baking stone. If you’re utilizing a baking sheet, cowl with parchment. The subsequent step is to chop your twine. I advocate cooking twine as a result of it’s oven protected. You will wish to reduce your twine lengthy sufficient that it may possibly match round your dough ball and have the power to be loosely tied on the prime. I reduce mine about 14″. Lay 3 cut pieces of twine crisscross in the spot you want to put your dough ball.
- Once you have all of your twine cut and layed, place your dough balls in the middle of the twine pieces. Tie the pieces of twine loosely together on each dough ball creating a loose knot at the top of the dough. This is what will shape the dough into a pumpkin shape. You can adjust the twine as needed after it is tied. Tying is loosely allows for the dough to continue to rise, while creating the shape.
- Let your bread bowls rise for 30-45 minutes. Make sure you cover them with a damp cloth or a pieces of plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray. The dough is ready to bake when it looks puffy and has risen slightly.
- There are a couple of different methods to bake your bread bowls. You will need to create steam with either method. To do this, you will need a metal pan of some sort that is oven safe and you can pour a small amount of water in. Place the pan in the bottom of your oven or on the lowest rack before you preheat your oven.
- Baking Sheet: You can cook the bread on the baking sheet they rose on. This method won’t give you as crusty of crust, but still works great! Remove the cloth or plastic wrap and place the entire pan in the oven. Pour about 1/2 cup of water into the metal pan and then shut the door quick! After they are done baking, place them on a cooling rack and cut the twine when they are cool enough to touch.
- Baking Stone: If you have a baking stone that will fit all of your bread bowls, then that is the preferred method for sure! A baking stone can heat up much hotter than a baking sheet and will give you a better crust. If you are using a baking stone, put it in the oven before preheating at the same time you put your metal pan in. Once your bread bowls have risen, transfer them to the preheated baking stone. Pour about 1/2 cup of water into the metal pan and then shut the door quick! After they are done baking, place them on a cooling rack and cut the twine when they are cool enough to touch.
- Brush the tops with butter. You could make a stem by placing two pecans collectively and inserting them in the course of every pumpkin. To reduce the tops, angle a pointy knife inward and reduce a circle to create a bowl. Serve together with your favourite soup!