Absolutely creamy and chocolatey, this simple Homemade Hot Chocolate is made with quality ingredients making it perfectly decadent without being overly sweet.
Why You’re Going to Love our Homemade Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is the quintessential winter beverage. After a long day out in the cold, there is nothing that warms you up quite like steaming mug of chocolatey goodness. Recently after the cold really set in and the requests for hot chocolate were regularly pouring in, I knew it was time to find healthier way to enjoy our favorite winter treat- with ingredients I always have on hand.
After much trial and error, we finally found a winner. Thick, creamy, with just the perfect amount of sweetness. You will never be satisfied with powdered packets again.
- milk– we used 1%, but almond or coconut milk would work great too!
- cream– this really bumps up the creaminess factor, but you can use additional milk if desired.
- cocoa powder– we used regular cocoa powder. Dutch Process will give you a more intense chocolate flavor.
- maple syrup– granulated sugar or agave will also work in this recipe.
- chocolate chips– we used semi-sweet. If using dark or milk chocolate, you might need to adjust the sweetness accordingly.
- vanilla extract– optional, but delicious! Or, substitute peppermint extract for yummy peppermint hot chocolate.
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate
- Add milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup to a small saucepan. Over medium heat, whisk until heated through and bubbles start to form around the edges of the saucepan.
- Remove from the heat. Add chocolate chips and vanilla. Whisk until the chocolate is melted.
- Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, or crushed candy canes and enjoy!!
How to Store Leftovers:
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat in a small saucepan over medium heat.
More Chocolate Recipes to Try:
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, add milk, cream, cocoa powder and maple syrup. Heat over medium heat, whisking frequently until warm.
- Add the chocolate chips and vanilla. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is creamy. Remove from heat and which in vanilla. Serve warm.
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 63mg | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 833IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 218mg | Iron: 1mg
I’m a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.
Learn More about Natalie