This post may possibly include affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please study my disclosure.
This grilled cheese pita sandwich is like every thing you enjoy about a standard grilled cheese, with a Mediterranean twist! Whole wheat pita bread is stuffed with fresh veggies and gooey cheese, then grilled to perfection for a comfort meals classic the complete family members will enjoy! The greatest aspect – they’re prepared in beneath 30 minutes!
Healthy recipes that taste super decadent are one particular of my favored points to make. A great grilled cheese is one particular of my favored recipes, so I decided to transform points up and make it healthier and even more flavorful than the original version!
These grilled cheese pita sandwiches are going to come to be your new favored lunch or light dinner. They’re gooey on the inside, crispy on the outdoors, and completely scrumptious!
Latest Recipe Video!
These cheese pitas make for an uncomplicated recipe. It’s a terrific recipe to make with the youngsters, or an uncomplicated weeknight meal you can pull with each other in minutes. Use this recipe to produce pita pockets, or stuffed pitas. It’s just as uncomplicated as a grilled cheese sandwich, but complete of fresh vegetables creating it a lot healthier!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Super uncomplicated recipe
- Quick and uncomplicated meal
- Gluten cost-free choice, uncomplicated to make vegan friendly
- Less than 30 minutes of total time
- Healthy sandwich choice
- Best Mediterranean grilled cheese pita ever!
This pita grilled cheese recipe calls for just a handful of uncomplicated components, very easily identified at most grocery retailers! For detailed ingredient amounts and nutrition information, see the recipe card beneath.
- Whole Wheat Pitas: Use complete wheat pita bread for elevated fiber and complete grains.
- Cheese: Because you cannot make cheesy pita bread with out cheese! Mozzarella cheese and feta cheese combine to get that melty, gooey texture of grilled cheese but with more complicated flavor thanks to the tangy-ness of the feta.
- Veggies: I employed a mixture of child spinach leaves, roasted red peppers and kalamata olives, but you can use any fresh vegetables you like!
- Herbs & Olive Oil: Garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper enable to place a Middle Eastern take on the classic grilled cheese sandwich.
- Halloumi Pita Flatbreads: Use halloumi cheese alternatively of the feta! You can also make a hummus grilled cheese by spreading hummus inside of the pita just before adding the cheese!
- Za’atar Grilled Cheese Recipe: To make a za’atar sandwich, sprinkle 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp za’atar inside of the cheese pita bread sandwich just before you grill it.
- Gluten Free: use a gluten-cost-free pita alternatively of common complete wheat for these pita bread grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Vegan: Simply omit the cheese or replace with a vegan wide variety.
- Different Cheeses: Swap out the goat cheese for mozzarella, swiss, parmesan or any other shredded cheese if you want a milder taste.
- Pita Pies: If you want to make a huge batch of these all at as soon as, reduce open your pita rounds and lay one particular half them flat on a baking sheet. Top with cheese, veggies, and the other half. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for a different 10 minutes till golden brown.
- Optional Additions: Try some crushed red pepper, other fresh herbs like fresh basil or fresh oregano, or even green onions or pine nuts for some crunch in this grilled pita sandwich!
🔪 How To Make Cheese Pita Sandwiches
Cook Spinach: Heat the oil more than a medium heat and sauté the child spinach till wilted. Add the garlic and onion powder and dried oregano. Toss to coat and set aside.
Prepare Pita: Slice the pita pockets in half.
Stuff Pita: Stuff the every pita half with the veggie mixture and cheese filling.
Cook Sandwiches: Lightly spray a grill pan or massive skillet with cooking spray and heat more than medium heat. Place the stuffed pita pockets onto the hot pan and cook for 5 minutes, till you see the cheese melt.
Finish Cooking And Serve: Turn the grilled cheese pita bread more than, and cook for a different 5 minutes – till lightly golden brown. Remove and serve promptly.
Whole Wheat Pita: Refined white flour, this Greek pita sandwich is created with complete wheat pita. This adds fiber to the dish which assists with digestion, regulating blood sugar, and and lowering cholesterol.
Low In Fat And Calories: This pita melt is created with a light quantity of feta and mozzarella cheese which is naturally reduce in fat and calories. There’s also a compact quantity of cheese employed compared to standard grilled cheese. Using thin crust complete wheat pita also reduces the total fat and calories.
Fresh Veggies: Baby spinach, peppers, and olives add flavor as properly as vitamins and nutrients.
The answer is – it depends! If you are comparing white pita bread to sprouted wheat bread, then that kind of pita bread would not be healthier than complete grain sandwich bread. However, complete wheat pita is also great supply of fiber and protein, with minimal fat. And one particular complete wheat pita will generally have much less calories than two slices of bread, creating it slightly healthier!
Yes you can! Certain cheeses melt greater than other individuals, and utilizing a mixture of cheeses enables for more complicated flavor in your sandwich.
For a classic grilled cheese, I enjoy utilizing a mixture of cheddar and gouda or Monterey Jack cheese, but you could use American cheese, Havarti, goat cheese, shredded parmesan cheese, or even brie! Different sorts of cheeses melt differently – so if you are going to use a cheese like parmesan or feta which does not melt as properly, I propose pairing it with a super melty cheese like cheddar or jack cheese.
This Greek cheese pita recipe is greatest created and served fresh. To save time, I propose preparing the filling components in advance, storing them in the fridge, and then stuffing & grilling the pitas when you are prepared to consume.
If you have leftovers, shop the vegetables and herbs in separate containers in the fridge. Wrap the pita bread in plastic wrap and shop at space temperature. You can also shop any unused pita bread in the freezer – it will preserve for up to 3 months.
💭 Expert Tips
- Be positive to use complete wheat pita with about 3-4 grams of fiber.
- When it comes to toppings, much less can be more. Overloading the pita with toppings tends to make it as well heavy to hold and the cheese stuffed pita bread will fall apart when you attempt to consume it.
- Don’t overlook to season your veggies with a bit of salt and pepper.
- For a comprehensive meal, serve this grilled cheese pita sandwich with this Creamy Asparagus Soup, or a fresh salad such as this Greek Salad.
- Nutrition info is an estimate and may possibly differ based on the brand of pita bread you use!
🥪 More Delicious Grilled Cheese Recipes!
📋 Recipe Card
This grilled cheese pita sandwich is like every thing you enjoy about a standard grilled cheese, with a Mediterranean twist! Whole wheat pita bread is stuffed with fresh veggies and gooey cheese, then grilled to perfection for a comfort meals classic the complete family members will enjoy! The greatest aspect – they are prepared in beneath 30 minutes!
Servings: 2 servings
- Fillings can be cooked and ready ahead of time. When you are prepared to serve, stuff the pita pockets and grill to order.
- You can toast the pita pockets either in a panini sandwich press or on the grill pan, just use whichever one particular you have!
Serving: 1pita | Calories: 440kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 1342mg | Potassium: 371mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g