These clever *cheeseburgers* may look like the real thing… but they taste a whole lot sweeter!
There are more steps to follow than your average cupcake, but they’re simple steps in general and (IMHO) worth it for the wow factor. 😉
- white cupcakes
- brownies, baked in a 13×9 pan
- orange candy melts (12 oz)
- green candy melts (12 oz)
- corn syrup (1/2 cup)
- white frosting (1 tub)
- red & yellow food coloring
- sesame seeds
- circle cookie cutter (around the same diameter as the cupcakes)
- rolling pin
- wax paper
- pastry/basting brush
STEP 1: Make the Candy Clay
- Start by making candy clay to use for the “cheese” and “lettuce”. Candy Clay is similar to fondant but easier to create.
- First, melt the orange candy melts according to the package instructions, then add 1/4 cup corn syrup and stir lightly. Do not over-mix. Turn the mixture out onto wax paper and let it harden for 30+ minutes.
- Repeat this process with the green candy melts.
- Once both clays have hardened, knead them until smooth and pliable. Then – working with about 1/3 of each clay color at a time – use a rolling pin to flatten the clay into thin sheets.*See helpful tip below.
- Cut squares from the flattened orange clay to act as “cheese slices”.
- Use a circle cookie cutter on the flattened green clay to cut circles for “lettuce”. Use your fingers to pinch and ruffle the edges of the lettuce.
STEP 2: Cut the Brownies
Use the same circle cookie cutter to cut “hamburger patties” from the brownie pan. Use your hands to further shape and form the brownies into “patties”.
STEP 3: Tint the Frosting
Tint half of the frosting red and the other half yellow. Move the frosting to plastic sandwich bags with the corner snipped off for easy piping. To create the cheeseburger “buns”, cut the cupcakes horizontally into thirds and discard the middle piece.
STEP 4: Assemble the Burgers!
- Cut the cupcakes in half to create the “burger buns”.
- Assemble the cupcakes by layering the lettuce, patties, and cheese on the bottom part of the “bun”.
- Pipe some red and yellow frosting (for “ketchup and mustard”) on top of the cheese, then cover with the top part of the “bun”.
- For the finishing touch, brush a bit of corn syrup on top of the buns and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
*Tip: To prevent the candy clay from sticking to the rolling pin, lay saran wrap over the clay before rolling it out.
Arent’ these cupcakes so cute?! I just love how they look with the sesame seeds. 😍
These cupcakes are great for a Food Truck inspired party theme OR a summer BBQ. Enjoy!