Crispy on the outdoors quinoa cakes have it all: fresh veggies, complete grains and the melty allure of savory cheddar cheese. The flavor is mild and familiar for little ones, but savory and intriguing adequate for adults.
Cheesy Veggie Quinoa Cakes
Here’s an irresistible way to consume quinoa, and get your little ones to consume it, as well: turn the ancient grain into a tasty and transportable baked lunch cake! These quinoa cakes are a kid friendly lunch recipe that adults delight in also! No will need to make two unique lunches!
I’ve been cooking this recipe for my son because he was a toddler, and it is one particular of these really feel-great recipes that has it all: fresh vegetables, complete grains, and the melty allure of cheddar cheese. The flavor is mild and familiar for little ones, but savory and intriguing adequate for grownups. (I after served them as hors d’oeuvres at a party. They disappeared!)
These quinoa cakes are more than flavorful and scrumptious they’re also a hand-held, mess-cost-free dish. This is Good for households with toddlers. For us, it signifies that when my daughter goes careening by way of the home with her lunch in her hand… I do not have to promptly chase right after her with a roll of paper towels.
It’s the small factors.
Ingredients You Will Need
This recipe is superb for having your little ones involved in the kitchen. Bigger little ones can assistance with the cutting, grating, and sauteing. You will will need:
- Broccoli Florets – I like to use fresh broccoli. This vibrant green veggie is packed with fiber, potassium and as significantly vitamin C as an orange! I favor my broccoli cooked, and surrounded by cheddar cheese tends to make it even far better!
- Carrots (not child) – Carrots a naturally sweet and are loaded with vitamin A and antioxidants which assistance with wholesome skin and eyes.
- Frozen Green Peas – Frozen peas are a price-productive option to fresh and have just as significantly nutrition as they are frozen quickly right after getting picked and retain the nutrition.
- Quinoa – this incredible grain has twice the quantity of protein as rice maintaining you feeling fuller longer. It’s also a good supply of fiber and B vitamins.
- Cheddar Cheese – cheese adds savory deliciousness to this recipe as nicely as assists to bind anything with each other.
How to Make Cheesy Veggie Quinoa Cakes
The important to generating these additional scrumptious and attractive to little ones is to make confident that the veggies are chopped compact and even. Especially the broccoli.I
I like to reduce the broccoli down into fairly compact pieces so that you do not get a massive chunk of broccoli and absolutely nothing else in a bite.
If your little ones are leary of onions, dice them fine and saute them very first till entirely translucent and soft. They will pretty much melt into the recipe and just provide that subtly sweet but incredible flavor.
Then to the entertaining element of this recipe! Once anything is mixed with each other, pack the mixture into a measuring cup, and whack it out onto the cookie sheet. It reminds me of generating sand castles… with lunch! Who says you cannot play with your meals??
When the piping hot, crispy-on-the-outdoors Quinoa Cakes come out of the oven, we like to serve them with a side of fresh fruit. Choose purple and red-hued fruit and see a total rainbow on your kiddo’s plates!
Commonly Asked Questions
- Question: Can these be frozen and reheated later? Yes! They freeze beautifully. Make them as the recipe says, cool and freeze in an airtight container. When you prepared to reheat, just pop them in the oven for 15 minutes till they are heated by way of.
- Question: Can I use leftover quinoa in this recipe? Yes – working with quinoa that is currently cooked is a good way to prep ahead and make this recipe come with each other quick!
- Question: My youngster has an egg allergy, what can I use rather of eggs? This recipe absolutely requirements to eggs to bind anything with each other. You could attempt working with a flax egg as a binder.
- Question: Are these great at space temp or cold? Wondering about sending in a lunchbox. This is absolutely a private preference, type of like pizza. My little ones have eaten them hot out of the oven, but also in a lunchbox and enjoyed them each strategies. Hot out of the oven with a crispy outdoors and gooey cheese in the inside is absolutely my preference.
- Question: Can I use other veggies in this recipe? Feel cost-free to get inventive with substitutions and additions in this recipe. I’ve added chicken, corn, and even finely-chopped green beans. Just be confident to maintain your total volume of add-ins close to the original recipe, so you have adequate egg and cheese to bind it all with each other.
More Favorite Quinoa Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup, chopped onion
- 1 1/3 cup broccoli, florets chopped compact and even
- 2 medium carrots peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen
- 2 substantial eggs
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cup Quinoa, cooked 1 cup uncooked
Preheat oven to 375 F.
In a medium pan more than medium heat, warm olive oil, then add onions and cook till translucent and soft.
To the pan add chopped broccoli, and peeled and grated carrots. Saute till vibrant and translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
Stir in frozen peas, then add salt and pepper to taste.
In a substantial bowl, whisk the eggs, then fold in the cheese, cooked quinoa, and veggies. Add more salt to taste.
Pack the mixture into a quarter cup measuring cup, then knock the cakes onto a greased cookie sheet, spaced evenly.
Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, then flip, and bake 5-8 minutes more.
Cool slightly and serve.
Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 122mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1751IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 1mg
I’m a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of meals and powerful promoter of wholesome habits. Here you will come across lots of scrumptious recipes complete of fruits and veggies, suggestions for having your little ones to consume far better and grow to be intuitive eaters and lots of sources for feeding your household.
Learn More about Natalie