This Avocado Salad is packed with good for you ingredients and tossed in a spicy buttermilk dressing- it’s one of our favorite lunches!
Why We Love Avocado Salad
There is so much to love in this salad..
- The spicy, tangy dressing
- It can last for days in the fridge, making it a great option for quick lunches throughout the week
- Affordable and easy to make
- It makes a balanced meal all by itself
How to Make Avocado Salad
Besides being healthy and full of flavor- Avocado Salad is incredibly easy to make! There are basically three steps.
- Cook the orzo. We love the orzo in this recipe because it cooks up quickly and my kids love it!
- Prep the vegetables. Set the corn out to thaw, and chop the tomatoes, green onions, and avocado. We used cherry tomatoes, but any tomatoes will work. This recipe is super adaptable to use whatever you have on hand! We’ve used red onion in place of the green onion. Or if you have bell peppers, they make a great addition as well!
- Mix up the dressing. Our buttermilk dressing is so incredibly flavorful. It will last a week in the fridge, so a lot of the time I will mix up a double batch so that we have it throughout the week.
The cut avocado will last 3-4 days. It might oxidize and lose visual appeal, but it isn’t harmful. However, the dressing will help slow the oxidation process. You can also toss your diced avocado with additional lime juice to help delay browning.
If you don’t want to use pasta in this salad, you can use a variety of grains here. Rice, quinoa, or barley make a great substitution.
Our favorite substitution for buttermilk is one part sour cream to one part milk. So for this recipe, you would whisk together 2 tablespoons of milk with 2 tablespoons of sour cream.
Also Reads : How to Make Halloween Suncatchers with Tissue Paper
Yes! My favorite way to do this is to stir the dressing into the orzo, beans, corn, green onions and tomatoes. The flavor of the dressing will actually improve as it chills. Right before serving, toss with the diced avocados and cilantro.
More Lunch Ideas:
- 1 cup orzo, dry
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 stalk green onion
- 15 ounce black beans, canned
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon cilantro
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise, light
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 medium avocado
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain and rinse.
- Allow corn to thaw while prepping remaining veggies. Quarter cherry tomatoes, slice green onions, and rinse and drain black beans; toss all into a large bowl with the orzo.
- Combine buttermilk, chopped cilantro, lime juice, sour cream, mayo, chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne (optional), and crushed garlic in a small bowl, whisking to combine.
- Dice the avocado and add to the salad. Drizzle the dressing over the orzo mixture and toss to evenly coat.
Calories: 579kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 814mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 14g
I’m a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.
Learn More about Natalie